Tuesday 22 March 2011

Something to get started!

Hello Everyone, I have been a reenactor for almost my entire life! I have a big passion for the Georgian era, and have re-enacted the War of 1812 in Ontario for my entire re-enacting career, but I moved to Nova Scotia 3 years ago and found out that 1812 re-enactment groups are nonexistent or not accessible unfortunately.  So I searched and I found that there were many Revolutionary War or French and Indian War groups! I joined a group called the 84th Highlander Regiment of Foot, a wonderful family! This year however, my boyfriend Gabriel and I have decided to create our own Local Militia group. We are small with only a few members, and most of our members are younger, but we hope that because of our younger members we can get younger people interested in history so it will be preserved for future generations to enjoy.
                Although I have been a reenactor for most of my life, I don’t know everything and I never will, history is still slowly revealing itself to us. When I look back at old pictures I can see the changes from age 4 to today, we are constantly discovering more information and that’s what makes history so interesting, there’s always something new. As for us reenactors we need to remember that for people just learning about this hobby, we need to be helpful.  As my fellow reenactors know it’s an expensive hobby, and each of us has started out with nothing and it can take years to get all the basics the only important thing is that people are showing interest and more people are trying to preserve history ,and  it’s very rewarding and fun to do! I always have thought about re-enacting as a family, we all help each other out and we grow a special bond with each other. I know in my heart that I have multiple sets of parents in my war of 1812 group that have watched me grow up and love me like their own. It’s a truly special thing!
 I have just learned how to sew these past 3 years with the little knowledge that I obtained from my mother when she tried to teach me (I’m kicking myself in the butt for not paying attention). I know I still need help but luckily my lovely girlfriends have my back when I get stuck which is most of the time, I don’t know what I would do without them, thank you ladies! Anyways, I have a huge “To Do List” of projects that I have the fabric for but not the energy, I’m sure you can relate! I’m currently finishing up Gabriel’s shirt, just some hemming to do. Then I am moving on to my “hip rolls” or bum rolls, both sound hilarious but to me are essential in creating the massive hips/bum that was so attractive during the Revolutionary War. I am almost positive I did his shirt incorrectly, but it looks like a shirt to me and it is all mainly done by hand. I am very proud of how it turned out anyways as it is the first one I have ever made and other than some pointers I figured how to put it together on my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love this picture

I love this picture